One way to begin planning is to look at any potential illnesses that you or someone living with you might have. Could these health problems make it hard for you or those living with you to access the home, and to live in the local area? Will there be a large choice of support services in the area you currently reside in, or in the area you may be planning to move to? If you are the carer for an older adult, explore how you can get them the support they need to stay in their own home.

What support can help me stay at home?

You can get almost any type of help you want in your home—often for a cost. Have a Housing Chat with someone from our infoline to find out how you can get more information on many of the services that older people often utilise to help them remain in their home.

It may be beneficial to consider what supports may be in your area, or the area you are considering living in. What support is available if you require assistance with Personal Care (such as bathing, dressing etc.) or Household Chores (such as cleaning, garden maintenance, or laundry). Will you have informal supports from friends and family or will you require professional services to support you and what will the associated costs be?

What supports may you require to ensure you can continue to access and prepare the food you like and that you are receiving optimal nutrition? There may be meal services in your area or meals served at a nearby neighbourhood centre, community centre or church. Meal delivery programs such as Meals on Wheels will bring hot meals into your home and some of these programs are free or low-cost.

Be Prepared for a Medical Emergency

If you were to suddenly become sick and unable to speak for yourself, you probably would want someone who knows you well to decide on your medical care. To make sure this happens, think about giving someone you trust permission to discuss your health care with your doctor and make necessary decisions. Learn about making a will, putting in place an advance healthcare directive, or an enduring power of attorney. Consider talking with your doctor about whether you should get a medical alert ID bracelet or necklace.

For further information

More information on this and other items to consider can be found by moving through the other topic specific links. Alternatively, you can have a “Housing Chat” with the Housing Information Line on 1300 135 500. We can provide you will some current resources and information on current services in your chosen location as well as some tips or tricks to look out for.

Link to other topics