International Day of Older Persons
International Day of Older Persons is celebrated on the 1st October. This year’s theme is ‘Digital Equity for All Ages’. The United Nations hopes this theme will bring awareness to the need for older persons to access and participate meaningfully in this digital age.
The United Nations website lists the objectives of the 2021 International Day of Older Persons as:
- To bring awareness of the importance of digital inclusion of older persons, while tackling stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination associated with digitalization, taking into account sociocultural norms and the right to autonomy.
- To highlight policies to leverage digital technologies for full achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- To address public and private interests, in the areas of availability, connectivity, design, affordability, capacity building, infrastructure, and innovation.
- To explore the role of policies and legal frameworks to ensure privacy and safety of older persons in the digital world.
- To highlight the need for a legally binding instrument on the rights of older persons and an intersectional person-centered human rights approach for a society for all ages.
If you are interested in exploring how technology can work for you, contact the Seniors Enquiry Line on 1300135500.